View Single Post
Old 03-09-2024, 11:18 AM   #4
howzzzit

Re: Help me eliminate strong fuel vapors in garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke87gt View Post
Some of you may have followed my earlier post about buying a new 1969 c10 250 last week.

Prior to my ownership, the truck sat for over a decade. I have the truck parked in my garage now and there’s one problem. The gas vapors are overwhelming and begin to creep into the first room of the house adjacent to the garage.

So the first thing I’m planning on doing is addressing that. Here is what I see:

a.) Gas cap rubber gasket is cracked. I have a new gas cap on the way.

b.) The short piece of soft fuel line between the tank hardline and the fuel pump is very soft/worn. I picked up a piece of 5/16” soft line with clamps and will replace that

c.) I see that there is a small fuel leak at the carb. I’ve ordered a carb rebuild kit to try to address that (pic below).

Other than that, I don’t see any obvious leak. Additionally, I don’t detect any fuel vapors inside the cabin (source of smell is external).

Are there any other areas I should be looking at that are common sources of fuel vapors that I should also check on?

I’ll start with a/b/c above and report back how things are looking.

Thank you!
For what it's worth I had an almost new fuel pump (maybe 20 miles on it) weep gas around the cap where it was pressed together. Truck had been sitting in the garage for maybe a month since the last drive. Started leaking all of a sudden and filled the garage with fumes. Wasn't leaking enough gas to drip. Probably what I deserve for buying a cheap fuel pump. I enjoy changing a fuel pump on a 350. NOT! Something else to check. Good luck.
howzzzit is offline   Reply With Quote