View Single Post
Old 03-20-2024, 08:52 AM   #5418
special-K
Special Order

Re: What did you do today not on your truck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowrun View Post
I'm always planting trees on my property in southern MI so I looked up the American Chestnut to see if they grow in my zone as I haven't run accross them here. Had no idea there was a blight in the early 1900's that killed almost all of them off and it doesn't seem like they have it figured out yet. Crazy how this happens. Ash trees and the emerald ash borer for example.
it's such a shame. Chestnuts were the biggest trees in the east. The redwoods of the east, now gone. I don't see how the blight can live on w/o the trees, but I guess they are hosted by other trees?. I had the most mature Elm tree anyone who saw it had ever seen. I'm talking elderly people. But in '04 the leaves came out, then the tips started turning brown. Buy fall the leaves were gone and by spring the bark was falling off. I had just planted a seedling the year before the disease showed up. That grew for 15 years, then died. Dutch Elm Disease

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 03-21-2024 at 07:48 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote