View Single Post
Old 04-28-2024, 12:27 PM   #2
cadillac_al

Re: Quadrajet 350SBC Tuning Advice

Well, I have a few minutes before the games start so i will throw some thoughts out there. When the truck sits for a while the carb goes dry and the fuel pump loses prime. People think they can cure it but they all do it. Pumping the gas while the carb is dry does nothing but wear out your accelerator pump. I crank it over until the oil pressure comes up, that's about the time the carb gets some fuel, then give it a couple pumps while still cranking and they all fire up the same way.

Now to make sure your truck is getting adequate fuel you should automatically replace the fuel filter. If there is a question about the fuel pump this is the time to test the fuel pressure. When you have adequate fuel pressure and a clean filter you can check you accelerator pump. After the engine is running (or long cranking) you should be able to look down the carb and pump the throttle and see a nice stream of fuel shooting out. Once you ensure everything fuel related is working normally you can move on to the tuning part. Maybe the idle mixture needs some tweaking but often times they do not.

I never had an engine sensitive enough to require an adjustable vacuum advance. I buy them from the parts store and they always used to be customized for each vehicle. I don't remember if that is still the case or not. There are rumors that penny pinching aftermarket supply companies may only be making a few different versions and using them for all vehicles. I did order a specific one for my K20 last year but I don't recall why. Usually a K20 vacuum can would give about 10 degrees advance and a Camaro vacuum can would give around 20 degrees and other vehicles were everywhere in between. I would keep it simple and buy the correct one. I don't want a Camaro vacuum can on my K20 and have it ping hauling a load up a hill. Good luck
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote