Thread: Column Mods?
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2024, 11:55 PM   #9
mr48chev

Re: Column Mods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
I did see that article but I got worried when they modify the part where the intermediate shaft telescopes. I presume that to be part of the collapsibility (to make up a word) of the column, though you'd have to break both roll pins with your chest if that's the case.

My '69 Pontiac (really Impala) uses ball bearings in the collapsing section. I guess if I knew where the safety features of this column were I'd feel better changing it.

Of course for all I know those safety features that came in the 65-67 timeframe didn't apply to trucks...

Those plastic pins are designed to break and let the column and or shaft collapse in a crash saving your chest. Without them about the only thing that might happen is that the inner shaft moves a tad bit inside the outer shaft. The same as it would on every aftermarket steering shaft with a double D shaft. The only issue is if you ever take it out and start to carry it to the bench and hold the end down the end might slide out and there is probably a very slim chance of that.

I hadn't seen that other thread before but it has me thinking now. Even though I am a member of the too many trips back to the buffet club with the later model seat and the Nardi wheel I have pretty decent room in my 71 but have the column out of the 4 speed 70 that my son used to have that I rolled after he passed away in 1989 (several months later) that I am thinking about using in my 48 to have a clean and simple column with turn signals.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote