View Single Post
Old 05-09-2024, 12:42 PM   #10
Thadious

Re: Doors - Mix Match of Parts 47-5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leegreen View Post
Please post more details as you work through this.

I have been pondering switching to bear claws and sourcing them from the pickapart wrecker cause I am cheap and I also like the idea of getting all the linkage and the matching sections of door frame and pillar for latch and striker rather than just buy the latch alone from aftermarket.
I hear you, I am too but I'm also pretty cogniscent of the fact that there are some safety items that require quality over value. If at all possible, I try to modify OEM part other than aftermarket.

Right now, I'm looking at going back to using CJ/YJ half door bear claw latches. I have a feeler out to a local guy that wrecks jeeps, but I haven't heard back from him. So I found these on Amazon... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...9G753MN0H&th=1

What I'm looking to do is to design a mechanism where I would be able to remove a rivet or two and bolt on a setup that would allow 52 push buttons and inside latches to activate the lock. With a little cleanup and welding on the door, you would be able to cut out the new pattern for the bear claws, drill and bolt these together, mod the re-enforcement plate to the 52 style and TA-DA! Door locks on both sides and an OEM look.

The reason for the CJ/YJ locks... is they are simple to work on. I've thought about newer ones but without them in hand, they are more difficult to engineer.

Right now, I have the re-enforcement plates and door templates, waiting to go in after the old re-enforcement plates are popped off.

I just need some measurements the a 52 door holes, if someone is willing to indulge me!

Cheers!
Ted.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one.
If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you...

My new build - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...70#post8958970
Thadious is offline   Reply With Quote