View Single Post
Old 05-12-2024, 06:19 PM   #1
Dirsuper

Ran truck out of gas - fuel pump dead

Hey guys,

Stock mechanical pump - I deliberately ran my 1972 K20 out of gas due to having let it sit too long and the gas going bad (I assume, would not make it up a hill and ran really rough). I let it idle while I also pumped the fuel out of the tank manually. It ran out, as planned, no odd noises or anything weird. I got 5 gallons of fresh gas, put it in, and tried to start it, no luck. Poured a little fuel into the carb, start, run 5 seconds, die. Did that a few times and realized that I have a fuel delivery problem. Did all the usual checks (fresh line without filter off pump output into bucket and turn over, nothing; run a fresh line off the pump input into a gas can with gas, nothing; had wife turnover truck with my finger over the input side of the pump, no suction felt). I feel pretty confident the pump is dead. My concern is that I read a few threads where people had similar situations and others told them to check the oil. So I pulled the dipstick and the level was normal. However, when I sniff it I think I smell fuel so I plan to change it to be safe, but seeing that recommendation (which I never would have thought of) has me concerned there are other things to worry about.

So my questions:

1. Anything else to be concerned about checking?
2. I am ordering a new pump today, and hope to have time to replace next weekend. Given the overall situation, any other recommendations/words of wisdom?

All assists are greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Dirsuper
Dirsuper is offline   Reply With Quote