View Single Post
Old 05-19-2024, 01:04 PM   #8
Joyridin

Re: Has anybody torn apart a Flaming River steering column?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdip View Post
My Flaming River Experience:

When I built my 49 Chevy pickup I opted for the Flaming River tilt column and it worked fine for about 5 years before it started rattling and getting looser and looser at the tilt section, really no miles on it as the truck today at 20 plus years later still only has about 18k miles on it.

I contacted Flaming River and spoke to a rep who asked me to ship it to them for repair, which I did. They contacted me telling me it needed a total rebuild and wasn't under warranty and would be $170 to repair it.

I got the column back and installed it and the problem was still there!! I called the rep and his answer was "Ship it back to us" I already had $70 to ship it, $170 to supposedly fix it and they banged me for $90 shipping back to me! I could have almost bought a new column... which I did. After a few choice words over the phone to a guy who could care less, and you bet your paycheck it was not a Flaming River.

Replaced it with one of Summits and it has been trouble free for many moons now.
I live about 5 miles away from their facility, and they are a customer of mine, although they do not know it. I have been in their facility many times. I picked my column up from their front office. I installed it and it smoked the main feed wire. When the turn signal switch was installed, they ran a screw through one of the wires. When you used the turn signals, it was a direct feed to ground. I called and they argued that I hooked up the wires wrong. I guess I didn't understand how to plug the wiring plug into my factory wiring. They wanted to charge me $51 for the harness, and $100 to replace it. I hadn't even driven the truck yet. I wired it myself.
Joyridin is offline   Reply With Quote