Thread: TA_C10: Stage 1
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2019, 10:20 PM   #282
TA_C10

Re: TA_C10: Stage 1

Update - Gas Tank Straps

SCOTI you kept me up at night man. I couldn't find any data out there on the interwebs on whether or not the mounting flange on these LMC 21 gallon tanks was strong enough to hold itself between the rails with just bolts so I busted out the straps and called it a day

So these straps are fine. They are galvanized metal. I also bought the black strips that protect the straps from scratching the tank which is a good idea now that I see what's going on. BUT. The straps are folded on the end and overlap back down the ends to double them up for strength but they used a cheap method of spot welding them together and they all pretty much popped apart on me. So I drilled a hole in the first layer and used the mig to spot weld them myself back together. All good. You can see in one of my pics how one of them popped and is bowed out before I fixed it. On the other pic you can see how I spot welded them myself.

Also, I previously welded nuts to the back of a couple strips of galvanized sheet I cut to make top frame brackets to bolt the tank to. I didn't like the J-Hooks that LMC sends to use. Those J-Hooks would tear through my freshly painted frame. So I used my brackets I made earlier(see earlier posts in my thread on how I made them) and instead of J-Hooks I used long grade 5 bolts instead. Worked like a charm and I control how tight these straps get

And here is how I had them mounted before the straps. And these are good pics of the flanges on the tank. Probably not strong enough like SCOTI brought up...

"It's only money".

Last edited by TA_C10; 08-06-2019 at 10:50 PM.
TA_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote