View Single Post
Old 03-30-2007, 08:02 PM   #19
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: serpentine setups..info please

One thing most individuals miss on a serpentine setup is that there are two different positions for the accessories. A truck setup and TBI F Body cars have the accessories mounted close together at the top of the motor (there is no TPI involved) where the ones on a Camaro and Firebird with TPI has the alternator and the A/C set further apart. The Camaro brackets are usually matched to a long water pump and that is what trucks are equipped with. I came across this when I started my endeavor to put a TPI corvette motor in my 91 silverado. The Corvette brackets are a really boogered mess compared to the brackets on the F Body cars. The bolts for mounting the A/c and the Alternator are different than the truck bolts and (of course) GM doesn't sell them anymore. I had to get creative or go junk yarding. I made my own out of Grade 8 Redi-bolt and lock nuts. I also bobbed off the extra cud on the brackets where the air pump would mount and got rid of the stuff that just stuck out in the way.

If you strip a GM F Body, get it all---even the funny bolts laying on the ground around the car, just in case.

Last edited by piecesparts; 03-30-2007 at 08:04 PM.