View Single Post
Old 03-09-2021, 09:19 AM   #13
bigschuss

Re: Starting the interior of my '84 K5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
That's a very cool Blazer. Red, white top, wagon wheels. You need to wear I Ski mirrored sunglasses when you drive it. The ones with red white and blue frames, haha. Rust-Oleum has a product actually called rusty metal primer. POR 15 will certainly more than do the job, but the rusty metal primer with a top coat of the color of your choice should also do the trick. After all, it's not out in the elements. looking at the adhesive, I would expect that you may need to employ both approaches mentioned, along with a third one. I think you'll spend a lot of time with the wizzy wheel to get that stuff off so I'd recommend starting with heating it up and getting a plastic scraper. There are also plastic razor blades that are available at paint shops. They don't last a long time, but they do have a finer edge. I think you will need to do final clean up with a solvent, Goo Gone might do it. If not, mineral spirits with plenty of ventilation and/or a respirator. You can step up to brake cleaner and then carburetor cleaner if you need to.
Thanks for taking the time to respond LT7A. Appreciate it. Great ideas on removing the adhesive and painting over with primer. Hoping to start all of that this coming week.

I love the look of the red and white K5 with wagon wheels. When I was much younger I had a similar K5 that I spent a lot of time on. I'm in the blue and white polka welder's cap. Bought these 2 K5's in West Virginia when I was in the military...used the frame, axles, and body of the red one and installed the entire drivetrain of the blue one into it. Drove it for a year and then sold it for $500 and a half empty bottle of Jack Daniels to a buddy of mine when I got out. Wonder where that thing is now?

bigschuss is offline   Reply With Quote