View Single Post
Old 01-07-2020, 11:29 PM   #33
Bigdually

Re: 1989 GMC 6000 Pickup/Toy Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvmt-Pndr View Post
Clicking through this thread makes me want to get my truck up and driving the way I want asap. Have you checked your timing? I found playing with my timing a little made a big difference in start up and shut down on my truck running the cheap stuff.i assume your truck is already hei stock. Most of what I read the tall decks like 8 degrees of timing and that's on the high side. For some reason my truck likes (427) 10 degrees better. I also only have about 2 street miles on her since I went through the engine. My wife has a 366 and I don't recall what hers is at, she's also running an edelbrock (not a avs2) and has hei.
I had the light on it when I was going through it doing the tune up on the carb, she's right on the mark at 8°. It's stock GM HEI. I'm really happy with how it starts up and runs, seems to really like the timing it's set at. I just think the crap fuel we have today is to blame for a lot of it.

I have read your build, I'm anticipating the day you get yours going too, it's a great truck!

Last edited by Bigdually; 01-08-2020 at 01:19 PM.
Bigdually is offline   Reply With Quote