View Single Post
Old 11-06-2020, 12:05 PM   #50
Bigdually

Re: 1989 GMC 6000 Pickup/Toy Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by STPETEBLUE View Post
Really love your build. I have wanted one of these for a long time. I do not have the skills, equipment, or space to do this kind of thing, so I contacted Mike at Big Ass Trucks. Neither of the trucks he had for sale or in progress had A/C, very important, down here, so he went on the hunt for one. On his site, under SOLD is my truck. It is the 1989 TopKick Ex-Ryder truck.

He left it for me to finish the little things, and I am curious. Where did you get the step bumper? Also, what is your source for the bed lights? I have only found one source for the fender clearance lights.

I would also like to know about the Christmas lights. Were they 12 volt or did you use a power inverter for 110volt? I'm assuming they are LED.

Thanks, and enjoy the ride. I know I am.

Great looking truck! There's a TON of potential there, I really like it. I talked to Mike when I was beginning to build mine, he clued me in on a few things I'd run into and what height above the frame I would have to mount the bed to get it to line up. He was quite helpful and really knows these trucks inside out.

The step bumper was tricky, I hunted EVERYWHERE for a long time and could find nobody who had one or makes one for a square body anymore. I was out of town for a week and one popped up for sale on Facebook. My girlfriend's dad drove two hours one way to go get it for me. The fender clearance lights came from USA1 Industries. They were backordered forever but I did finally get them.

My Christmas setup was actually all incandescent lights, I ran them on a 2000 watt quiet Honda generator in the bed, you couldn't even hear it over the truck idling. I could have ran way more lights and this year hopefully I can.

Looking forward to more pics and a build thread on yours!

Last edited by Bigdually; 11-06-2020 at 12:12 PM.
Bigdually is offline   Reply With Quote