View Single Post
Old 01-04-2020, 07:28 PM   #12
gigamanx

Re: Ford Model A Tudor Modern Twist on a Classic

Blasted and ready to go. Brought home the body and got it ready for priming in my new paint booth. Here's my experience as a first timer...

The good...
1. Eastwood Epoxy Primer is great! 1:1 ratio and a quart size is just enough to do a whole body.
2. Paint booth worked great! My spray arrestor filters were covered in gray primer and the rest of the garage stayed clean. Air flow seemed strong as I didn't notice any build of of fumes until I was almost finished with the whole body.
3. The $15 spray gun from Harbor Freight works just great for primer. Was pretty impressed by the consistent spray pattern. 1.4mm tip was fine for the Eastwood Primer.

The bad...
1. The internet is full of opinions on what to do with sand blasted metal. In the end, the only thing that worked was using a brush and a shop vac to get all the sand/media off the metal. Acetone didn't work, Metal prep didn't work, "rinsing" with water was a terrible idea and immediately rusted as I dried it with a heat gun.
2. I should have stopped there and decided to tack cloth the metal. I didn't see until after paint, but the epoxy now has a bunch of tiny fibers sticking out that will need to be dealt with. The only places that worked out were the inside panels since I didn't care to tack cloth them. They look great

Lessons.... Have all the stuff to mix your paint and clean the gun inside the booth so you don't have to leave to mix more.

Furry body paint that now needs 200grit wet sand before the next step. Not too worried as I assume a thin coat of bondo and sanding will fix it anyway.

No runs though so I was happy

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote