View Single Post
Old 01-16-2020, 04:54 PM   #19
gigamanx

Re: Ford Model A Tudor Modern Twist on a Classic

Watched a TON of videos since my last update. Who knew there were so many schools of thought on patch panel welding. In the end, I formulated my plan, made a sweet patch panel and welded it in. Painted POR15 anywhere that wasn't going to get welded to help seal the patch. A small amount of oil canning happened between the patch and the original metal. I think its because when I cut the old section out, the remaining metal folding in a little. Almost like it let go of some tension. I couldn't get the tension back in the panel, so closed up the weld and hope epoxy filler will smooth it out before paint. Thankfully its considered a "low spot" as opposed to a high spot

Very pleased with the results. Also welded some holes shut after researching if I should lead solder, body filler, or patch panel it. My restoration buddy said just to clean out small holes and fill weld it slowly. Seemed to work nicely on the pinholes. I used a copper backing plate on the larger ones so the weld would pool instead of falling through the hole.

Edit: Might have used the wrong terminology. Not oil canning...I have a valley where my weld is. The valley existed when I cut the old metal out and it bowed in a little. When I welded in the new metal, the bow/valley stayed.

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride

Last edited by gigamanx; 01-16-2020 at 04:59 PM.
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote