View Single Post
Old 02-12-2015, 11:39 PM   #1
treveiger

69 Chevy C20 HO52 full floating rear end drum brake removal/installation.

I recently did the brakes on my 69 C20 with the HO52 full floating rear end. I decided to do a walk through of what I did so people can use this as a reference. I took several pictures throughout the job to hopefully better explain how I did it. If there’s anything people want to add please do as this was my first(and hopefully last) time working on full floaters.

I got started by looking through my 1969 Chevrolet Truck Chassis Service Manual and the forum( www.67-72chevytrucks.com ) to help get a idea of what I was getting into. The sections in the Service Manual I used were:
· Axle Shaft-5200 and 7200 Lb. Axles (page 4-25 in Rear Suspension and Drive Line)
· Hub and Drum (page 4-26 in Rear Suspension and Drive Line)
· Section 5 Brakes (I basically used this as a picture reference of the ones that looked like the drums I was working on)

Step 1. Removing Axle

First you need to support your truck with jack stands and take off the tires. Once your done with this you will see your Hub/Drum Assembly. The Hub/Drum Assembly is pressed together through the lug bolts so it will come off as one unit. In order to get the Hub/Drum Assembly off to service the drum brakes you need to take the Axle Shaft out. To remove the Axle Shaft you need to take out the 8 bolts you see in the below. There will be a small amount of gear oil that will come out so be prepared to catch it in a container.
Attached Images