View Single Post
Old 02-13-2015, 12:36 AM   #15
treveiger

Re: 69 Chevy C20 HO52 full floating rear end drum brake removal/installation.

Once the brakes are disassembled you will have the choice to replace the wheel cylinders or just use your old ones. For me I bought new ones at Napa. For the price the security of knowing they were new was worth it for me. To remove these are quite simple although you will need to bleed the brakes as you have to disconnect the brake line but bleeding brakes are a simple quick process that is good to learn anyway. To remove the wheel cylinder there are two bolts on the back side of the wheel cylinder that will need to come off(sorry forgot what size they were), then all you do is disconnect the brake line and the wheel cylinder will come off. To reinstall just do what you just did in reverse and hand tight until snug, DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN.

Step 4. Brake Assembly Reassembly

Now that the disassembly is over with, all that there is left is the reassembly. I did not have many pictures of this process as my wife was helping me because the springs were quite stiff and hard to stretch. Once again please take caution and wear gloves for this process because if caught right these springs will rip your hand wide open or worse.

Take note that the E-Brake components are gone, my E-Brake was stuck and worthless so I just decided to toss it as I never use it. Do this at your own risk...
Attached Images