View Single Post
Old 12-31-2022, 10:33 PM   #4
68bowtie

Re: The "Other" IROC-Z Thread

For the fuel tank, I wanted to see if there was gas, but I didn't want to hook the battery up in case the pump turned on with the ignition and sent garbage into the system. So I sent a hand pump siphon into the tank first. I felt the bottom (or so I thought) and nothing came out. The end was dry.

So we proceeded to dump 7 gallons in with some fuel system cleaner. Well, at about 6.5 gallons, it started flowing out the top of the filler.

WOOPS

Apparently there was some gas in there. I'm still not sure if I was hitting a baffle or something in there.

So now we have been trying to drain the tank. First we tried disconnecting the supply line just past the fuel filter, and ran a hose to a bucket. Hooked up the battery, turned on the ignition. Nothing...

Then we hooked up a rag and compressor blower (lightly) in the fuel filler to put a couple pounds of air on it. Nothing came out the supply line into the bucket. Although some gas and air came back out the filler a bit, and a bit dripped out of a valve that appears to be a check valve on a vent line (not sure what this does). We disconnected that valve and plumbed that tube into the bucket and tried again. Still nothing...

Went back to the hand siphon and got it past the baffle. Retrieved about 2.5 gallons, but it's still not at the bottom because that's all we got.

So I'm thinking now to plumb my hose and bucket back onto the supply line and jumper the fuel tank harness to see if that will pump the tank down.

Open to any thoughts or suggestions...

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote