Thread: AC Request
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2019, 11:17 AM   #23
Wgesnerjr

Re: AC Request

From my basic understanding, canbus sends many different signals down the same wire. I think about it like an interstate highway. People in a common area funnel on to the highway, go to another area then exit and go to different destinations. Everyone dosent get their own road to where they want to go, but must share a common route.

If you think about it, cars used to be wired with a direct connection between a switch and a light or motor. Now with canbus each item can use a common wire to get their signal to where it needs to go. That's how I understand it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

However, my buddy and I wired in a factory bluetooth phone rearview mirror into his wife's Grand Cherokee so she could have hands free through the audio system. We just spliced the data wire into the main serial line and it all worked. How the signals know where to "exit" the common wire is still a mystery to me. But once connected, it found the stereo as its destination.

I hope this little jewel of a module gets cheaper over time. $300+ is a little steep when you "can" go without it.
LS 5.3, 4L60E
Father/Daughter Project
Wgesnerjr is offline   Reply With Quote