View Single Post
Old 09-30-2021, 01:17 PM   #35
kev2809
low n' slo

Re: Easy way to remove motor and trans from donor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidf View Post
I have down this road just recently. Engine in my donor ran good when I test drove it. Drained oil and globs came out...uh oh, coolant and oil mix...probably means cracked cylinder head. Pull valve cover and man was it dirty with baked oil. Pulled heads and they passed pressure test. Cleaned engine best I could, replaced oil pump, resealed entire engine.

After my LS swap was complete, the engine started right up and sounded great, but it immediately left a puddle of oil under the rear main...damn, I messed that seal up. new seal and same results...turned out the crank was moving radially due to worn out main bearing. So, I bailed and bought an engine from a salvage yard. Used my boroscope to look inside the engine to ensure spotlessly clean. 2nd engine is great!

So, maybe don't waste your time on the engine you have and get a better one. I got my 5.3L from the salvage yard for $425.
yup I thought getting the whole truck running was a better idea lol. I called my buddy up yesterday that I got it from and he said he has a 2002 tahoe I can swap it for. this one looks immaculate on the inside (was wrecked in the front). engine looks great too and waaaaay cleaner than this one. going back later to run some cables to the battery to turn the key to check the mileage. already posted this one for sale on craigslist

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
,.,,,.,.,,.,|_O _______ O_]
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote