View Single Post
Old 10-30-2021, 05:23 PM   #1
89AKurt

My remote camp trip near Monument Valley

Everyone knows Monument Valley, I didn't camp inside the Navajo reservation, but...... Been wanting to take Blue Cloud camping. I prefer avoiding campgrounds, and would rather be under the stars than a roof. These are pictures from the Nikon camera, more will be posted from the phone. The pickup ran great, but the weather cut it short.

This is west of Tuba City:

This landmark is Elephant's Feet:

Abandoned service station:

Forest Gump made this straight famous, which is north of Monument Valley. They paved pull-offs, and made it a 35 MPH zone so tourists won't get run over:

Day one campsite, in the Valley Of The Gods:

When I left in the morning, scouted other campsites:

Campsites are just off the road, but there is no traffic at night:

This is Moki Dugway, the highway is gravel in this section that goes up the cliff:

I took more videos of this part than pictures.

Day two campsite, on Cedar Mesa at Muley Point. You can see Monument Valley beyond, about 20 miles as the Eagle flies:

The drive down Moki Dugway the next day:

Sand Island is where rafters launch for going down the San Juan River. There are petroglyphs on the canyon wall, and a developed campground:

This is along Comb Ridge, there are petroglyphs on these rocks:

Can camp at these locations, too windy today.

For now skipping day three camp spot, pictures still need to be downloaded. I got woke up at 2:30AM by rain. So I left, in case it really came down didn't wish to get stuck! This is the north entrance to Wupatki Nat. Mon.:

This is Wukoki Pueblo:

To avoid the headwind, I took Snebbley Hill Road, which is a historic road that is suited for Jeeps, but Blue Cloud did great!

I was nice to take the old truck for a long drive, 674 miles. Thanks for looking.