View Single Post
Old 04-01-2024, 09:18 AM   #24
special-K
Special Order

Re: Any one experiened what a new reroofing costs ?

No one has suggested that people working in the oil industry are evil or greedy. The fact is, along with all other forms of corporate retail, greed has caused astronomical inflation, post Covid. It's true about all branches took losses due to the slowdown. That was four years ago and the opportunists have more than made back their loses. Also, there is no inflation button in Washington, DC. Throughout my life, all it has taken was a shortage (real or not) or a disaster for corporations to take the opportunity to jack up prices. I was just getting out of HS when we had the oil embargo in '73 and ever since then no prices have been stable like they were prior to then. Before that, everywhere you went for decades bubble gum was a penny, candy bars and soda pop was a dime, and gas was the same price. Next thing we knew the sugar and paper industry came out with "Hey, we have a shortage. We want more money, too". and it has gone from there ever since. A temporary issue comes along and prices go up forever. It's corporate greed. Small businesses and the buying public get stuck with the bill without increase in pay

The cost of a shingle roofing job has somehow quadrupled in just a few decades. It is a must have home maintenance feature of all homes and the industry knows it. So, there's your greed beyond the oil companies. Roofing is also closely tied to our honest friends, the insurance industry, who we all know wouldn't think to charge a penny more than needed . Around here the residential roofing crews have become almost exclusively 8 or so cheap labor 5 footers who strip and lay down a roof in one day. makes it hard for a contractor intent of doing quality work to compete.

My material costs have gone up and up and up in all this time, yet I have people telling me my hourly rate is too high. They can beat on my price but you don't see buyers beating down the suppliers (middleman). My hourly rate has been the same for 20 years. What do you buy today for 20 year ago prices. Yeah, I don't either

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 04-01-2024 at 09:29 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote