View Single Post
Old 05-22-2016, 12:13 AM   #6
dmjlambert

Re: Feeling in over my head and not sure what to do next

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkinLonghorn View Post
Personally, I would forget any "mechanic" that used the wrong hose for a fuel line. Also I would forget any mechanic that couldn't easily rebuild a Quadrajet, the first time (I hope he isn't charging you for all his fiddling around).
You didn't say what engine and carb you do have. A quadrajet has a little fuel filter just inside that you need to check.
Does the choke work on the carb?

That kinking in the hose needs to be sorted out. Sounds like the metal fuel line is bent and needs to be unbent.

Please fill in the blanks so that someone can give better advice. -WL
I have a 350 cu engine and 4bbl carburetor, but I don't know if it is called a Quadrajet. I am attaching a picture. At the fuel intake nozzle it has a filter housing built-in, and I was advised it best to use an external in-line filter instead of putting a filter in the built-in housing because it is easy to mess up the threads of the built-in filter holder. It supposedly does not have a filter in the built-in holder. I did notice the housing and nozzle are pretty easy to wiggle, perhaps not made of a hard metal. I don't understand the choke enough to be able to tell you if it is working. No, he didn't charge for any additional fiddling around, and the engine rebuild and other work was inexpensive.

The metal fuel lines are all intact and in good shape and don't appear to be bent. Hose is only used to attach the metal fuel line that comes from the tank to connect to the metal fuel line that goes to the engine compartment, and at the frame under the A/C compressor it is shaped like a U so it points back toward the fuel pump. Short hose goes to the fuel pump. A metal tube goes from the fuel pump to within a few inches of the carburetor, and then a short hose to the carburetor through the in-line filter I was talking about.

The kink I am concerned about the most is because the fuel pump nozzle points straight forward, and the metal fuel line from the cab points straight back after the U-bend, but they are not in line with each other. The fuel pump is slightly to the left from the driver's seat. It does not look bad. But there is some kink. I will replace that hose with a different length, bend, or re-route to remove the kink.
Attached Images

dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote