View Single Post
Old 09-04-2022, 12:19 AM   #30
Yerboogieman

Re: 1971 Suburban 4x4 build "The Big Ugly"

Got it up on the lift and started tinkering and seeing what I need. Right caliper is seized, booster is indeed bad, the rod is misadjusted, the brake and fuel lines are downright scary, and the steering gear needs to be resealed.

Kicking myself for not getting a steering gear from RedHead steering gear when I worked literally next door

I pulled the fuel tank and found that the float in the brand new sender is sunk. I've been having issues with the fuel gauge since I did the wiring, double checked the resistance of the gauge (thanks to this thread https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=640615) and confirmed my suspicion.

A little discouraged, I stuffed the tank back up there, forced the caliper piston in and put it back together for now. Sprayed it down with simple green and washed underneath so it will be clean and dry next time I work on it. Spent so much time on the mods and overengineering, I forgot to do anything about the basics .

Fun fact, Neither me, my dad, or my uncle changed the front brakes on this. Those front pads have plenty of life left on them. They must have over 100k miles on them for how much we drove this in the past 30-some years. I daily drove this truck 60+ miles a day in college 10 years ago. The driver's side rotor still has the factory machined groove in it. I think I'll go ahead and check that proportioning valve while I'm at it.

I also found some pictures I failed to post.

Roller Rockers.

The new seats.

1971 Chevy Suburban 4x4 Build Thread
Yerboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote