View Single Post
Old 04-28-2023, 09:44 AM   #34
HO455
Post Whore

Re: 1971 Suburban 4x4 build "The Big Ugly"

Bending brake lines isn't too tough. Here are some things I've learned over the years. It just takes some patience and pre-planning of your moves.

Get a 25 foot roll of 3/16" nickel/copper brake tubing. If you're unfamiliar with Nicopp line the interweb has lots of information. You don't want nickel/steel tubing. Although some trucks used 3/16 for the front lines and then 1/4" for the run to the rear brake hose and then 3/16 on the axle so you may need only 15' of 3/16" and then 15' of 1/4".

Get a quality tubing bender. I like Imperial benders. They will do 180 degree bends.

Get a 8 foot long piece of #6 solid uninsulated copper wire. #6 is slightly smaller than 3/16" tubing. Then you can make practice pieces with the copper wire before trying it on the tubing.

I like to start on smaller easy to access lines like the ones on the rear axle to start. Then once I've got my MOJO going then I move on to the longer, harder to access lines.

Some of the frustration with bending new lines come when you're replacing ones on an assembled vehicle. GM designed the lines to be installed on unassembled vehicles. So sometimes you have no choice but to put an extra coupling in the line.

I also like to take pictures of all the fittings before I start so I can make a shopping list of those if I'm going with all new fittings. GM has a habit of using different sizes. I believe they did it to keep the folks on the assembly line from assembling things incorrectly.

I hope this helps. Looking forward to more updates on your Burban!
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote