View Single Post
Old 03-20-2019, 06:25 PM   #550
Thealien

Re: Ratchet's Blazer - 1970 2wd with Original paint

@smbrouss70

If you have not already shipped it back I would take it to a machine shop and have the hardness tested before returning it. That way when they say it tested fine at XX rockwell hardness you will know if it really is/was or if they are bull****ting you. I have been burned enough times in my life that I live by trust but verify!! If they do try to lie you could then send them a copy of your test and post the results on every forum I could find. On the other hand if it tests the correct hardness I wouldn't even return it and would also tell as many as I could?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbrouss70 View Post
The guy that replied to the email called me today. He was very nice and explained that after a c-clip housing is narrowed that it is hard to get all of the metal shavings out of the axle tubes right behind where the bearing is pressed in due to it having a lip to stop the bearing from going in too far. He suggested that when I change the bearing, to focus on that area. I got another axle ordered and should have it by the beginning of next week. I told him that I would ship the bad axle back in the same box so that they can inspect it and test their heat-treating. He told me it doesn't happen often, but its not impossible for their heat-treating to be at fault.

This weekend, I will pull both axles and bearings, and clean the axle tubes real good just to be sure. I'll pull the posi out and flush the pinion bearings with brake cleaner, like what was suggested by a buddy, to avoid having to dial in the pinion bearing again with a new crush sleeve. Then I will just have to wait for the new axle to arrive to put it all back together. After that I can start installing the A/C!

Last edited by Thealien; 03-21-2019 at 08:06 AM.
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote