View Single Post
Old 04-24-2021, 09:40 PM   #1
CC69Rat

Questions for the welding pros

Asking for input / opinions. This is my first time ever welding anything.. and my first attempt shortening a bedside (of course)

Pop and I bought an original long bed a few months ago. The truck had a camper top on it since it was new. Original wood floor, etc. Very nice inner wheel tubs, the header panel is the straightest I've ever found. I gave $400 for the whole bed. I just bought it for the wood floor header, cross sills, etc. I was just going to put short bedsides on it for my 67, but the more I looked at it ..

The long bedsides were very straight but the bottom edge was pretty rusty. It was weird. I think maybe the bed sat on the ground somewhere for a while? Both sides, front and rear had some rust in it. So to fix the rust and change the lwb / swb lower front lip I just put a new panel along the bottoms. My truck is a 67, so I cut these in a way to delete the side markers too. This bedside was the worst of the two, the other side is in much better shape. I just figured if I messed this one up I basically got it free.. I'd just sell the other side
But I think it looks ok (?)

For the welders.. I'm asking for help. Does this look ok? I have a Hobart Handler 180. 220v unit. It's on the lowest heat setting, .030 wire and around 55 on the wire speed seems to be working. (?) 75/25 mix on around 18cfh.. I have never welded before. Just watching videos and researching. I'm a car guy, yes.. just trying to teach myself to weld.

There was some 40yr old scale on the back of the panels that I treated with a rust / scale converter from Locktite. I sprayed the whole inner panels before welding. I tacked about every 6 in, then moved. Alternating to keep the heat out. It seems to have worked?

I knocked it off a little bit, yes I did have a couple places where it blew through. I did the best I could. Do you guys think this will hold? A body shop supply friend of mine suggested a skim coat of a product by UPOL. It has a Aluminum filler base, I messed around with it a little. It seems to sand very well.

Would you guys go ahead and skim coat it? Thanks.
Attached Images

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote