View Single Post
Old 10-09-2021, 11:55 PM   #5
RustyPile

Re: Brake and tail light issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72bigred View Post
I totally agree on the grounding aspect, probably 90% or better that has been the issue. This round I took every step to avoid it. Going to replace the light switch as that is my only avenue at this point.
Guaranteed that will not fix the problem.. Yours is 99.997% a ground problem.. Remember, the bulb socket has to make good electrical contact with the light housing and the housing has to make good electrical contact with the fender or bumper where it's mounted.. All the contact points for everything has to have good electrical contact back to the battery negative post..

I have extensive automotive electrical experience so all this is basic to me.. I had grounding issues on my truck with the running/turn signals.. After good trouble shooting techniques, I determined that both front bulb sockets didn't make good contact with the light housings.. The sockets are just crimped to the housings and had become loose.. I tightened the crimp and then cleaned the contact areas on the housings and sockets.. Using a 250 watt soldering gun, I flowed a good "solder bridge" across the crimps.. 4 years ago and the lights still work as they should..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote