View Single Post
Old 03-30-2020, 01:20 PM   #19
Daubs

Re: 1972 K-20, The Green Truck Project

Spent most of Saturday getting the welder set up and practicing. Sunday was more fitment, and finally some welding.

I've owned this welder for 5+ years, but this the first time I've had it set up in the new shop. Messed up my order on patch panels, but that turned out to be a blessing...as I had plenty of metal to practice on.

My neighbor is pretty handy and gave me some pointers. Still, my welding skill suck!

Didn't like the door bottom curves, so decided to shorten that patch and fabricate my own metal for two areas needing attention.

What I learned along the way:
  • Had welder set up in doorway of shop, mainly to get good light. Realize now the breeze/wind was likely messing up my shielding gas.
  • Had some blow-throughs...need to remember to clean the back side of the area to be welded (if I can reach it). Rust contamination not good for welds.
  • 4.5" angle grinders are my friend! I have three plugged in to the extension reel -- one with flap disk, one with cutting wheel, last with paint/rust remover. Great to have them all at hand, plugged in, no changing wheels.
  • Air compressor set up with small grinding disk for detail work
  • Patch panels are true 18ga. metal...very sturdy. Fitment isn't always great, but in general I've been pleased.

A few pictures from the weekend...
Attached Images