View Single Post
Old 10-24-2021, 05:19 PM   #2
LS short box

Re: I have decided to go LS, and skip SBC this time around.

On my LS swaps I've used mostly 24 tooth reluctor engines which use one computer for engine and trans. On two LS swap projects I used 2010 and 2012 L92 (6.2) engines. One had a manual trans so I only needed the engine computer. My current project is a 6.2/4L60E combo so I need a engine and trans computer. No real down or up side for either. Properly tuned both work well.
1. Used Speartech and Howell for computers and engine/trans wiring harnesses. Both companies turn out a good product.
2. Over LS1tech.com many have been using the the Holley system.
3. I don't think the iron blocks have changed much (gen 3 and 4 ) over the years strength wise. The LS1 blocks are the weakest but still able to handle 500 crank hp with no problem.
4. I like the LS6 intakes or LS3 intakes. Used ones come up on LS1tech and Corvette Forums from time to time.
5.I would stay with 10-1 or so just in case the 91 octane isn't available for some reason.
6. Holley has a complete bolt in system. I haven't used it but it seems to get good reviews. I have always pieced my swaps together to save a few bucks.
7. LSA of 110 will have choppier idle compared to a 114 LSA. I like to run a smaller cam so the tune is easy. I like to build more cubes and small cam in lieu of small cubes and big cam.
8. If you are going to haul or tow I would really consider a 6.0 (4" bore). Seems low mileage stuff is getting harder to find. I would buy something with high miles and rebuild. Stock crank and forged rods and pistons. With a 4" bore you can run L92 heads. Good valve springs and push rods.
9. I like 2000 fbody FEA. Gets the alternator down just for looks.
10. If you bore a 4.8 to 5.7 I believe you can get a stroker kit to 383 cubes.
11. Rearend gears. I had 4:10's in my 68 and they were great.
Just my .02 and I'm always happy to spend other folks money LOL.
Good luck with your swap.
LS short box is online now   Reply With Quote