View Single Post
Old 08-29-2011, 02:54 PM   #106
bollybib

Re: Jim's 1969 Custom/20

OTHER TASKS WITH THE BED REMOVED(2 of 2)

Name:  100_5285 12pct.jpg
Views: 1793
Size:  78.7 KBName:  100_5286 12pct.jpg
Views: 1802
Size:  73.3 KB
Frame After

**Replace the shocks

I replaced both rear shocks with Monroe 32301’s so I’ve got new ones all the way around now.

*Replace the rear brake hose

I figured this was a good time to replace this hose. Access was excellent and the job took me less than an hour, including bleeding. Pricey little hose, that.

**Redo the rear end cover seal that I apparently didn’t do very well the first time

This time I followed vectorit’s (Chris’s) procedure at ----- http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...04&postcount=7. As of this writing, the exterior of the rear end is dry as a bone.

I also painted the spare tire carrier semigloss black and cleaned up the attaching hardware, detailed the spare tire because it would be left exposed, and cleaned and straigtened the license plate bracket and lamp assembly. I stripped then primed the strip of bed below the tailgate and I thought it looked OK just like that so I left it. I had the paint on hand so this was all freebie stuff more or less.

Boiled linseed oil, bed hardware…………….$....8.10
Shocks…………………………………...........………..54.35
Brake hose……………………………..........…………29.90
Total……………………............……………………$…92.35

Name:  100_5427 25pct.jpg
Views: 1809
Size:  36.5 KB

I’ve been getting mucho enjoyment out of driving this beefy veteran around town to go surf, visit friends, and run errands. I’ve driven it at night and I even got it out on the freeway a couple of times with no problem.

The next thing I want to do is replace all the bench seat foam and install new covers. I’m thinking 69 CST all vinyl Saddle reproduction now. I’d like a smaller steering wheel so I’ll be looking. I’ll also be monitoring the condition of the engine to determine what needs to be done there to quiet it down and fine tune it a bit. A small, column-mounted tach would be nice. And anything else that looks interesting to do haha.

My Daily Driver is a 1969 Chevrolet Custom/20 Fleetside 350/TH400/Eaton H052 4.10
and its Project thread is here http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=456911

Last edited by bollybib; 09-11-2011 at 12:49 PM.
bollybib is offline   Reply With Quote