View Single Post
Old 10-05-2013, 12:41 PM   #56
Hart_Rod

Re: Gauges used for LSx swaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleuh1 View Post
Hartrod, does the PCM receive oil pressure data on the 2005 5.3 ? It doesn't pull up on my HPTuners,
I assumed the PCM didn't receive it. All these are some nice gauge setups.
Eagle - I'm not sure. Do you have a factory sending unit that is wired into the harness? If you can't find it in HPTuners, my guess is that the computer doesn't monitor it, or at least it doesn't make it available on the CAN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmac View Post
Hart, good work. Can you show how you wired the BIM mod? Wanna do the same but want my OBD2 left open. Thanx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash_OK View Post
Yes, I would also like to understand how this is working..

You can do it a couple different ways. You can buy a splitter that plugs into your OBDII port and then splits to a 9 pin on the other end and as a well as another OBDII port. I bought the cable off of Amazon for around $20 shipped (I have a part number some where). I did this originally and then decided to call Dakota Digital about hard wiring it.

Basically what it boils down to is this, on my OBDII port from the factory harness, Pin # is the CAN HI (tan and black wire) and Pin # is the CAN LOW (tan wire). From the DB9 pin plug I determined that this equated to Pin #3 for the CAN HI (purple wire on mine, not sure of the color standardization) and Pin #5 for the CAN LOW (grey wire on mine, not sure of the color standardization) . So, I just cut my DB9 pin cable and spliced those 2 wire into the harness. Pretty straight forward. For you guys that haven't ordered your wiring harness, you can ask the person building to pull these 2 wires separately for you and you won't have to mess with the OBDII port.

Just for for full disclosure, , my engine/tranny is a 2013 58x system with CAN BUS architecture. I'm not sure if all of this applies to your setups. I would recommend calling Dakota Digital and inquire about your particular engine/tranny combo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash_OK View Post
Hart_Rod,

Great news on getting the gauges working. Please send the info on how you keep the OBDII port open, also any info on the oil pressure working via the PCM. It am certain that was not a option when I set my gauges up. Maybe you have a newer firmware for you gauges..

Once again great news on getting everything working.. Have a great day, and good luck with the rest of your build..
Crash - you may be right on the firmware changing. I talked to Dakota Digital several times about the oil pressure and was told no at first, and later was told maybe and then a couple of days ago I was told it might possibly work. The guy that told me possibly, did ask my the firmware date on my BIM-01-1. Mine was dated September, so I'm not sure if that made a difference or not. Let me know if you have any more questions. Sorry for the long winded post, .
Attached Images

Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote