View Single Post
Old 11-21-2018, 12:05 PM   #17
hatzie

Re: Hatzies 2005 2500HD

I re-used the same airbag. I used Windex on a cloth to clean the vinyl.
The brand new wheel was on Evilbay. You can find em with controls and without. My truck already had the UK3 controls so I got a wheel with the same.
You obviously want to make sure the new wheel is centered in the same position as the old one. IIRC there's a wide locator spline but don't depend on my memory.

You can get badly hurt by the airbags so this is for entertainment only... do this at your own risk...

Discharge any static in your body. Touching the metal body of the truck several times is good enough.

Disable the ZONE 3 SIR system.
  1. Remove the ignition key so you're sure the ignition is OFF.
  2. Pull the SIR fuse to disable the inflation system.
  3. Discharge static again.
  4. Disconnect the four position connector from the steering wheel module at the base of the steering column almost behind the knee bar beauty panel. The airbag connectors have CPA locks so you'll have to pull that before disconnecting.

Name:  000Airbag latches.jpg
Views: 3782
Size:  49.9 KB
Pull the airbag.
  1. Be sure to discharge any static again...
    Treat the airbag like an unexploded bomb... because it is.
  2. There are two holes in beauty cover on the back of the steering wheel center section directly behind the red circled holes in the picture ( you can see the round wire retaining springs toward the center of the wheel in the holes in this picture ). These are the spring release points for the airbag latching posts. Slip a round blunt tool into those holes ( I used a 4mm Allen key ) and gently rock the tip away from the center of the column to release the spring ( you may need a bit of force but don't be a gorilla ). The airbag should pop up slightly. Repeat on the other side.
  3. Lift the airbag carefully away from the steering wheel and disconnect it. IIRC the airbag connector has a CPA lock but don't quote me on it.
DO NOT DROP IT. The service manual says if you drop an airbag it's toast. There's a height listed and it's not very high... 24" or thereabouts. I usually set the airbag face down on a beach towel on the passenger floor with the passenger door closed and locked.
  • The horn wire comes out just like the older trucks... push and turn.
  • Disconnect the UK3 steering wheel accessory control buttons connector in the wheel from the clockspring pigtail.
  • Remove the center nut.
  • My wheel came off with several sharp raps from the heel of my hands alternating from side to side on the backside of the finger ring. If it doesn't move you'll need a puller.
  • Thread the clockspring wiring through the big hole in the cast aluminum center as you slide the wheel off.

Install is the reverse.
Be sure each electrical connector is tight and then push the airbag squarely back into place. It'll click on each side as the springs slide over the taper points on the posts and into the slots behind them.
Re-Enable ZONE3 SIR

EDIT *** Add Video of wheel swap.
This is LSX Matt swapping the wheel on a Tahoe with a Grant stock replacement leather wheel.

1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.

Last edited by hatzie; 07-07-2020 at 04:07 PM.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote