View Single Post
Old 04-23-2011, 02:23 PM   #72
A.T. RockDriller

Re: HOW TO: Split the brake lines (many have asked)

Wonderful thread, ChiefRocka.....
As far as the tough times go.....I sure know how that works.
I'll bet it gets better.....Remember...
" Pain is just weakness leaving the body "
We should be pretty strong when all the crap blows over.
I thought I'd add a little info on my own brake upgrades.
A different twist....the K-1000......4X4 mods.
I swapped my stock frt. & rear diffs for late model Dana 44 & 12 bolt corp. respectively....
Because I wanted to add the Hydro-Boost set-up eventually, I used the down-time to take care of it all at once.
With the new disc brakes and larger rear wheel cyl.s, I thought it wise to add the brake proportioning valve along with new brake lines.
I didn't do near as good a job with the camera as you did, but I did take a few.
I hid the new valve inside the frame-rail just under the driver-side firewall, and split the lines from there in the same order as you explained.
I also took the slide-on spring style tubing shield what-ya-call-its off of the doner 1-ton and used them coming off the master cyl and again in high abrasion or vibration areas like across the cross member, near the rear wheel cyls, etc. I slid them onto the line after the bend, before the fitting and flare work.
Here's the few pic's that show a little of what I did.
I could take a pic of the proportioning valve if anyone wants to see it.
As far as the twin master cylinder set-up that's stock for the '63....the clutch MC sure is a different story. More on that if you're interested on my build thread..."Rockdrillers '63 K1000".

After reviewing the photos, I can't say that I showed you much.
I'll take a few good shots of my work and post them a bit later, as I'm sure this thread will circulate around for some time, being the best reference for brake-line work that I've seen so far
Nice job, Chief.
Attached Images

'66 GMC 4000...351C, 5&2
A.T. RockDriller is offline   Reply With Quote