View Single Post
Old 07-15-2022, 09:04 PM   #89
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: HG's Dream Car Build - Shelby Cobra Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Interesting setup on the shocks, what's the horizontal shock do?
It's unusual for sure. Standard rear suspension from the mustang. You can get coilovers as an option from factory five and I think you remove the horizontal quad shocks if you use them.

Since I wrote the previous I did some googling and found this info. A short quote about it here and I'll copy the link below if you want to learn more but what it comes down to is axle wrap and wheel hop.
------------
"They are there to damp the axle housing rotation that is allowed by bushing compliance and which leads to wheelhop. Lots of people say, incorrectly, that changing LCA's and/or UCA's will unequivocally eliminate the need for quads. Some people get that lucky, but there are a lot of other factors involved and as long as you're dealing with the factory 4-link design, and as long as you have some bushing compliance somewhere (as you MUST, if you want the suspension to articulate properly), then you have the opportunity for wheelhop.

Many, many things contribute to wheel hop. Let's first understand what wheel hop is caused by.

When you torque the axle, it wants to rotate backwards. With the amount of compliance built into the entire system, it can, to a point. When it hits that point it shocks the system and unloads the tire, which unloads the axle housing, causing it to unwind, reload the tire, and the cycle starts over again. Quad shocks are designed to damp the oscillations of the housing that lead to wheel hop, and contrary to internet gang-bang knuckledragger opinion, THEY WORK, to a point, and only when they're good. The people who say they took off their quads and noticed no difference took off bad quads."

https://www.corral.net/threads/what-...urpose.317796/

Last edited by hgs_notes; 07-16-2022 at 09:18 AM.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote