View Single Post
Old 12-02-2021, 06:07 PM   #1
nikwho

Does bottled octane booster work?

Hey all,
I just finished a head and camshaft swap. Took my old iron World Products heads off and installed a set of aluminum Dart Pro 1 heads. Went from 72ccc chambers to 64cc, so upped my compression ratio a bit. My truck would previously run on 87 octane just fine, without detonation, though I typically run 91 octane in it, in case I travel to lower altitudes. I live on a mountain, at 6,800' ASL, so I can run a bit more timing without having to worry about detonation. Problem is, my fuel tank is full, and I'm not 100% certain on what fuel is in the tank. I topped it off just prior to tearing into my engine for to cam and head swap.

So, that's a lot of rambling to ask a simple question. But, do any of you know whether the bottles of octane booster actually work? If not, I may just top the tank off with race gas to help bump up the average octane rating. Though, there isn't a ton of room. Of course I can drain the tank, but that is smelly, often messy, and I have to hear the wife complain about the smell of gas.