View Single Post
Old 01-03-2022, 05:28 PM   #5393
Grizz1963

Re: Grizz's Redneck Express 1966 Chevy Short Fleetside RESTO-GO!

So, public holiday here in England.

Spent two hours on the phone with friends.

And a stop start day out at the garage.

When we mounted the engine and gearbox using the MX5 propshaft as a guide, it placed the gearbox and gear stick forward from the original Ford position.

The steel that was under the carpeting had rusted away over the years too, so needs to be removed.

The donor car had a tunnel with the right holes and spacing for an original MX5 part.

So calling on Mr Grinder, we went from this……..

To this.

And for the OCD brigade, I know it is partly upside down.

While I was at it, the old dash came out again from the scrap pile…….

Producing this brace.

Which is a touch narrow, but has the mounting points and tabs already welded in place.

Every time I walk past this monstrosity, I shiver and look the other way.

Job for another day.

I was asked be a friend in Siberia just how much lower it had really gone now, what it looked like compared to something relatable.

No cars down there to compare with, so this will have to do.

And that is what 5 inches or 130mm looks like.

The other job today was to remove the seats, get the motors and actuators removed and swap the drivers and passenger seats around, as the drivers seat will be manually adjustable, and passenger seat that was the drivers will be in a fixed position.
Then also to create raised plinths for both seats.

Job incomplete.

One other job that I started on was removing the roll bar.

It needs to be modified to move back 150mm or 6 inches in the tub, and the legs need to be bent closer together to fit in the narrowed space.

So it will need to be a modified version of this, or maybe make a completely new design and made up piece.

So it was a slow day, but little jobs come together ultimately to deliver a bigger picture.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote