View Single Post
Old 09-02-2011, 09:05 PM   #22
jocko

Re: Complete T5 swap thread - one way to skin the cat

Well, not real quick on the "test drive" - didn't want to be sweeping my parts off the pavement. But I did notice I had to be pretty darn ginger with it to not chirp in 1st gear. And I didn't want to chirp in 1st gear either, but occasionally did. I have a 3.76 1st gear and 3.73 rear. It does run notably smoother (i think it just seems that way because I'm no longer running the rpm so high in 2nd/3rd) and it "seems" to pull more because, theoretically, you're keeping the engine in a more narrow (and more optimum) power band, i.e. rpm range where it makes its best power and/or torque with les rpm drop between shifts. But, it's still just a little ol 283 and I don't want to get on it too much after all the work of getting it in. So, nothing crazy yet - but depending on what you had before... If your last sentence means your 3-speed's 1st gear was 3.72:1, then you won't notice any difference in 1st - IF your T5 has a 3.76 1st gear. If you have a 4.0something S10 1st gear, then you'll notice a bit more oomph/accel, but will need to shift to 2nd even sooner. Across the entire band and getting up to speed, yes, feels like more accel if you've got your foot in it because you've got your foot in it with less rpm drops between shifts, etc. it's pretty darn nice.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote