View Single Post
Old 11-20-2021, 11:21 PM   #15
chev-obsession

Re: A grandpa’s camper truck resurrection

First I must say, this 1/2” cordless impact is the best tool I’ve ever bought!

Ok, as for progress today I got less done than I was hoping but it’s all I could find time for. Some how I didn’t get a pic of the engine bay after I stripped everything, so that’ll be a priority for tomorrow morning (Before & After). I removed the water pump so that I could thoroughly flush the block clean. Good thing I removed the W/P as it was difficult to spin, brown crud came out, and it squeaked. I added a new fuel and water pump to my Napa list. I also pulled the inner fenders off so that I could steam clean the front end parts, engine bay, motor and what can be gotten to on the trans. This truck is COVERED in oil/grease.

I removed the cowl panel so that the cowling could also be thoroughly cleaned as well. I pulled out a fair amount of dirt and leaves but not terribly bad. I’m thinking the overhang on the camper was helpful in keeping some of the garbage out. I was also able to fully drain the saddle tank, but unable to remove the tank as the “nuts” stripped out on me. So now to plan “B”

I did get some parts today, my replacement radiator, spark knocker wires and wire looms. The radiator shop wanted $600 to re core my old one. I would have loved to give them my business, but for $275 shipped to my door I couldn’t pass up this aluminum beauty.

Also with the inner fenders removed I’d like to comet wash them to bring the shine out. I’m open to ideas on “how to” or “what to do”
Attached Images