View Single Post
Old 04-19-2023, 08:13 AM   #14
hemi43

Re: Front Leaf Spring Caster Shim Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG BLOCK JIMMY View Post
After 2+ years of staring at the 3 degree caster shims I bought from offroad design, I'm ready to install them. I'm attempting to cure the invigorating "dartiness" and I'm hoping the shims and an alignment will do it.

Questions:
Are 3 degree shims sufficent or should I get 4 or 6 degree shims?
I assume to increase caster the thick side of the shims points forward.
The shims came in a three pack, so the differential side will have one on the bottom and one on the top opposing each other, correct?

I also have the rear axle offset blocks to center the rear with the wheel well as HEMI stated. I'm sure there's a thread on that already, but I can't find one.
These trucks like around 6-7 degrees of caster. Around 3 degrees is already built into the axle itself, so you want to add 3-4 for that final number. Adding 6 will be too much IMO.

The thick side needs to go towards the front to increase caster. This could cause issues with higher lifts (4 inch+) because it may put too much U-joint angle, but for a 2" lift there's no issues.
You will only need 2 shims. They go between the axle perch and the spring.
Odd that they would come in a 3 pack.
As far as an alignment, don't waste money getting it done by a shop. The only thing adjustable is the "toe". This can easily be done at home on flat ground with just a tape measure. As I mentioned before, with 33" tires, aim for around 3/16" toe IN.
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote