View Single Post
Old 11-24-2022, 09:10 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

Re: An odd project model

I feel very differently about the GMT400s. First of all, I can't call them OBS when they were the "new body style" for ten years before the GMT800s came out. What do you call the 88-91 R/V Squarebodies? GM named the trucks GMT400 and that works through all the years perfectly. Even the later overlapping years. "classic" was used back then as well as for the overlapping GMT800s. The traditional terminology would be 1st Series and 2nd Series. I see no need for yet new less accurate term and not hopping on that train.

I feel the GMT400s are one of the best designed and built trucks GM ever built and the proof is in the pudding with all these trucks up to 34 years old still in daily use. The known fact is, GM invested huge money into the development of the GMT400s. At the time they were a huge leap forward. I hated them at first, for being such a huge change from the trucks I always knew. Then I witnessed them perform and dispel any rumors of them being weaker or lesser of a truck. They were the first 300,000 mile light truck GM built while staying relatively simple by comparison to todays trucks. And that is a huge benefit for those today relying on them for transportation and hard work. You don't see them getting junked due to astronomical repair costs. I have owned a few EFI trucks and know nothing about that system because I have never had a single issue with it. All EFI has done for me has been give hundreds of thousands of miles of trouble-free service.

My reliable daily transportation for the past 8 years and over 100,000 miles has been my $3,000 '95 suburban K2500. I've had great use from it as much as anyone who bought a new '15 the same month for tons more money.

If you are retired and it's not your only vehicle I'd say you have a good plan.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote