View Single Post
Old 09-22-2015, 07:15 PM   #2
leftybass209

Re: Oil Pan Chop? Can it be done?

You aren't going to gain any significant clearance by cutting a pan. There is also clearance issues with the oil pump pickup tube.

If you were to successfully cut an oil pan and rework the pickup tube, then you'd decrease the distance between the oil sitting in the pan and the crankshaft, creating an increased load on the rotation of the crankshaft (however slight or significant I don't know). Or, you'd have to decrease the amount of oil in the pan, increasing a chance of overheating and oil availability. It would also bring the oil level in the pan closer to the gasket height, which would increase the likelihood of a leak. The rear main seal would also suffer from an increased chance of leaking, which is already a problematic area and doesn't need any aid.

It's not worth modifying the oiling system of the motor to get your truck a few inches lower, when there's already dropmembers designed to KEEP the oiling system the way it is AND achieve the lowest possible drop.

7" deep is the most shallow SBC pan I've heard of, with most coming in at 7.5-8". Most shallow LS pan I've heard of is 5".

Last edited by leftybass209; 09-22-2015 at 07:21 PM.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote