View Single Post
Old 07-05-2008, 10:31 AM   #150
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtrux View Post
I would completely finish up everything motor related. Exhaust, tuning, whatever. Then electrical...lights, wipers, all that good stuff.
I think you're right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badpeanut View Post
I'd get it home and drive it now. You'll find more small items that need fixing or just aren't to your liking and they'll be easier to fix at home. It is always satisfying to drive something you've built (and impressive with how little cash you have in it).
I'll be bringing it home on it's own power now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70rs/ss View Post
Sounds like there could be gunk in the pushrods and or motor. Now, if the motor was gunked, that gunk could be anywhere, and everywhere, try seafoam in the oil, it'll break down all the crap and flush it out with an oil change. Once the oil think is square, drive it!!
BTW I watched this entire thread ply out, but didn't post much, I am glad you did it through to the end, just to show it can be done and you don't need a second mortgage!! It isn't a show piece, but honestly who wants one of those, not me!! Drive it, let your son drive it (sitting in your lap if he is young!), but you don't have to worry about stupid stuff like scratches, dents, dings, rain, bugs, other drivers, etc, etc you can enjoy it and have the sense that you "DID IT ALL" as compared to the checkbook crowd of "builders" and I use builder loosely when I refer to them!! I think it's sweet and for the $$$ you spent, well let's just say a lot of guys here are going to be green with envy, when they hear $300ish !!!!
I was thinking the same thing. I did put some oil treatment in. My plan was to use some sea foam in it during my next drive and then change the oil again. It was black from just a few minutes of running. I might be able to make this engine ok yet.

And thanks for the kind words on my project idea. My son might drive it yet this weekend. He's 12 now and loves cars.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 07-05-2008 at 10:32 AM.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote