View Single Post
Old 04-07-2021, 02:18 PM   #4
LT7A

Re: 1988 Suburban R20 - Refresh - Looking for Ideas

You are more than welcome to my ideas and opinions, but I hesitate to give too much input on somebody's vehicle since it's all personal opinion. Nobody else has chimed in yet and I know your rig is at the shop. So I'll toss some more ideas in and you can see what you think. First off, sorry to hear about the accident and the impact to your vehicle plans, but I understand how that put this rig back into service. Since you don't mention towing or camping, I will comment accordingly.

First off, I would do your repaint in the stock colors. These rigs have been around long enough that very few stock ones exist and a clean, stock looking one stands out. There is no need for custom paint treatment. It has been repainted and the tape stripe doesn't follow the factory line on the front fenders. It's close, but it should taper down a bit before it heads straight down. it might take some searching to find a picture of an original one, but it will look better if it's done right.

With mirrors I would go with the factory mirrors, what GM calls below eyeline mirrors. They are generally known as Dumbo mirrors, which is odd because they're smaller than the bigger mirrors. If you are going to tow then you may want the bigger mirrors which I think you mentioned as tripod, of which there are two types. The bigger tripod mirrors fold out for a wide view of towing a trailer. If you are not going to tow, the Dumbo mirrors are a sleeker look which by now you have figured out is one of my primary design reference points. If you have a set of the tripod mirrors and decide to use the below eyeline mirrors, hold on to the originals in case you want to install them. They are also well sought-after.

I would leave the roof rack off, personally, if you don't anticipate using it. Again, sleeker and cleaner, but some guys hunt these down because they like the look or anticipate strapping on kayaks, etc. If you have one though, keep it. They are salable, and you can put it back on if you want.

The pictures don't show the condition of your front bumper, but if it is similar to the rear bumper and they are original, then it looks like they could be reused. I think it's a bit of a wildcard as far as the reproduction bumpers so I would keep what you've got until you can do that research. Not that tough to swap out after the paint is done. if you decide to bring it back to showroom condition, there are re-chroming options, but expensive.

Glad to hear you have kept your stock wheels and hubcaps. Wheels are a matter of preference. I do know the Hummer wheels are heavy, but maybe not heavier than the stock steel ones, but you might want to compare. Hard to go wrong with the stock look, and wheels is the last place you want to add weight on a vehicle. Hinders performance more than adding the same amount of weight onto the chassis somewhere. And again, the stock look is hard to go wrong with.

Glad you have interest in these old rigs and found your way to the forum. I hope you can post some more pictures of your Suburban, and it would be cool to see the Corvair too. Also, this is a good place to post pictures of the progress. Always cool to see work in progress.

Last edited by LT7A; 04-07-2021 at 02:37 PM.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote