Thread: Stacked airbags
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2022, 01:07 PM   #3
SCOTI

Re: Stacked airbags

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeromio View Post
I've been searching all over for this and I've come up completely empty. It seems (to me) like an obvious solution to the problem(s) of airbag suspensions: the less air pressure, the lower the ride height AND the lower the spring rate. So, super low, you're either on the bump stops (not good), or you're warbling all over with no control (also not good). And then the reverse: max ride height is also max spring rate (jacked up but way too stiff).

So, I'm wondering why you can't just stack 2 airbags, meaning individual airbags each with their own separate air inlet (one on top and one on the bottom). So with one bag completely aired out, the ride height drops, but the 2nd bag provides a relatively usable spring rate. One spring maxed out for lift would leave the 2nd to provide some compliance.

Why is this not something that you can just order off the shelf? Am I missing some important detail?
They probably don't make such an animal because of lack of demand. How many people would need the set-up to creep 1" off the ground @ optimal pressure & then later that day need it @ stock right height again @ optimal pressure? It wouldn't be just the springs.... You'd also have to dial in shock travel heights. And, you can't align it for both. Which height would you be aligning it for??

Beyond that, the end-plates of the bags would have to be built so they can be stacked some how or an adapter made allowing two to mount together. Bags @ normal lowered ride height & optimal pressure are typically 5" minimum up front so x2 would be 10" of spring you'd have to figure out how to fit. Some sort of crossmember mods would be required which would possibly lead to other required mods.

They make triple bellow bags but again you'd have to build the vehicles mounting set-up to work within the range of the air spring. Then those shock & alignment concerns would need to be addressed as well.

There is a set-up that allows you to build @ a 'lowered' height & then switch to 'dummy-low' @ the touch of the finger w/the exact same ride quality. Alignment configurations can be built so the impact is minimal. The problem is the price of entry to the club as it's exclusive from the perspective of the blue collar builder.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote