View Single Post
Old 03-08-2012, 02:54 AM   #92
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Markeb01 Build Thread

After several years of running the 15x5 TTO front wheels, I wanted to swap to a matching set of 15x7 mags on all 4 corners. In my opinion the 15x8.5 American mags produced in the 1960’s were the most beautiful wheels ever created by man. The 15x6 version wasn’t far behind. Of the TTO sizes currently offered the 15x7’s looks the most like the originals, especially with the 5x5 bolt pattern.

Being married to a wonderful wife, another pair of 15x7’s showed up for Christmas. They were quickly degreased and shot in gloss black. I used the same Martin Senour 7239 Tecnique Gloss Black used on the rear wheels. It’s available from Napa Auto and is very durable retaining both the high gloss and deep black color:

To me they just look more impressive than the 15x5’s. Here’s somewhat of a before and after comparison between the 5” rims and the 7” rims. Both are wearing the same 215.70.15 Radial T/A’s.

And finally I couldn’t wait, so it was backed out in the snow on a 17 degree day when all the snow froze in the trees. It was a spectacular day, but the severe contrast didn’t help take a decent photo:

So then I got the bug to retro-upgrade my Unity fog lamps to have the early topknot emblems instead of the flat/boring patch on top. It was a pretty simple upgrade as shown in the photo sequence below. The inner flange of the emblem rivets were lightly trimmed with a drill bit and the rivets knocked out with a spring punch. The holes were filled with silicone and the emblem attached with a screw as they were on original lamps with these emblems. I don’t think they’re much doubt they have a much richer appearance, for anyone that cares about this sort of stuff: