View Single Post
Old 06-23-2012, 05:59 PM   #251
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Markeb01 Build Thread

This morning I started working on the new wide windshield trim. 3 ½ hours later, all the dents were removed, including the worst one in the set (first photo). Having the right punches and a better working set up this time made the job much easier. I’m now ready to move on to the sanding phase. So far I’m amazed and thankful how nice it’s turning out.

Just to see if the repairs looked as good as they appeared, I sanded the worst dent with 320 & 400 then stepped over to the buffer and hit it with green cutting compound and grey medium compound. Other than needing a lot more sanding (600, 800, 1200 & 1500) before finish buffing, the repair is undetectable:

Here’s the before shot:

The area between the ink marks is the same section of trim shown above. This photo was taken with flash:

And this is the same section without flash. The dark area has been buffed. The dull areas remain a sanded finish:

As a side note - it turns out when you whittle brass punches down to a 1/16” tip, it’s not a good idea to drop them on the floor!