View Single Post
Old 01-30-2022, 04:34 AM   #1553
Grizz1963

Re: GRIZZ’s ‘79 - 2WD BLAZER Challenge over in London, England. “~It’s not a Project

PREPARATION

PREPARATION

PREPARATION

TIME FLIES FOR SURE.

So my first job yesterday morning was to start trimming back the original steel dash support some more so it could be worked in under the dash and support the steering column and other bits.

So I ground and cut back the welds at the ends, removing the wings.

Better.

Nick and I were working in parallel most of the day.

Next to go, more cautiously was was the steering column end mounts.

Followed by careful grinding back, and cooling with a wet cloth to keep the plastic bush safe.

Coffee time at 2.00pm saw the iced Belgian buns coming out.

At which time Nick had removed the original brake pipes in the engine bay, and I had managed to remove more of the engine bay “decorations” that would not work for this build, but will have to be made again to fit and accommodate the Mazda parts.

The original Ford steering column bulkhead hole was disassembled and put up a very brave fight…. But eventually it was opened and cleared of plates and rusted in allen bolts.

Allowing us to start making up the new plates. Which currently will incorporate the Ford brake and clutch assembly, albeit modified.

With trial fitting the Mazda steering column it became apparent we needed more space.

So @nickwheeler armed with masking tape, marker and ruler, marked the lines of engagement, and I fitted a fine toothed blade to my woodwork jigsaw with vacuum cleaner in tow and opened the dash up.

The search will be on for a 450mm wide by 1500mm long length of good marine or phenolic ply to shape the dash from.

Pretty pleased so far.

Followed by filing all the edges down, front and back, plus a strip of masking tape to make it less hazardous.

And test fit.

Red line for centring.

Time for another coffee.

Coffee drives this build.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote