View Single Post
Old 02-12-2022, 10:16 AM   #36
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Re: Palf's 1970 Custom/10

Well, first thing to mention is while I was working on truck yesterday was my latest gift from Chevy Truck legends showed up. So, now I have tape measure that fits the garage theme.

Anyhow, yesterday I decided to do some servicing of the truck. First thing was replacing the fuel tank sender. I don't remember if it was that way when I found the seat for Ed, but I just realized that the tilt lever is missing from the seat (its a 90 model CX1500 recovered). Even though it slides forward, it made it tight to twist the sender around to get it out and new one in. I am guessing somewhere in the tank is a float (couldn't find it) because the old unit came out missing it. New one is in and yeah, gauge works again.

Next was oil change. Ed had installed a remote oil filter system. What I didn't know or forgot was it still had the factor style oil filter also. No biggie, change both. The recommend oil filter for 70 Chevy V8 truck didn't fit. The headers where in the way. I am not sure (yet at least) what brand these are. Ed says they were on the truck when he bought it in 1978. They are in great sharp and seal well, but REAL tight around oil filter. Found a shorter filter (I guess cars had same issue, as they all used the short filter and truck longer one). Anyways, got that all done, 6 quarts of oil and she is ready for more cruising.

Last small block I had (my 83 C10) had shorter headman headers so I didn't notice the oil filter issue. I believe every other small block I owned used Ram horns. The wrench barely gets on and the filter just makes it in and out when replacing. The pictures make it seem like more room that what it felt when changing.

I also did some adjustments on the driver's door latch so that the key would lock the door. Turns out it wasn't fully engaged when closed, so it would not allow the lock to engage. Little steps.
Attached Images

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!

Last edited by Palf70Step; 02-12-2022 at 10:22 AM.
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote