View Single Post
Old 01-25-2015, 01:35 AM   #7
c10vortec

Re: 72 C10 winter budget build

Please excuse the mess in the shop, we have collected all kinds of things for the farm and from my dad's previous years of trucking- and we've never gotten around to organizing it

I started with the back end because it was the easiest. The spring cups and spring cup bolts were rusted solid. Since i had new springs and hardware we used a cutting torch to simplify the removal process!

Name:  IMG_0624.jpg
Views: 2557
Size:  48.8 KB

I didn't realize then how often I would need heat to remove old parts. I had to remove the trailing arms to install the pro-performance brand polyurethane bushings. I cleaned up the old nasty arms with a wire wheel and shot them with some black enamel. I forgot to get a picture of the driver's side arm before I started cleaning it. It had a rust build up between to the two halves that had separated the arm about a 1/4. I removed the build up and drew the halves back together with some grade 8 bolts before painting them. I thought it was odd seeing rust build up in that way without much damage to the arm itself.

Name:  IMG_0626.jpg
Views: 2349
Size:  48.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0631.jpg
Views: 2593
Size:  52.1 KB

I pressed the bushings in with a bench vice and had to do some prying to get the arms back into the crossmember brackets. After that point assembly was a breeze with the new hardware.

Name:  IMG_0778.jpg
Views: 2363
Size:  52.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0779.jpg
Views: 2339
Size:  47.0 KB

The rear springs are 4" drop springs from CPP and the trac bar is from CPP as well. With some help, we used three hands to turn the bar while it was bolted in to center the rear axle. I didn't purchase a trac bar or shock relocation kit since it was only a 4" drop. If it feels like it needs it later I will invest in them. The shocks on the truck now are under a year old so we'll see how it does.
c10vortec is offline   Reply With Quote