View Single Post
Old 07-20-2021, 04:49 PM   #1228
Grizz1963

Re: GRIZZ’s ‘79 - 2WD BLAZER Challenge over in London, England. “~It’s not a Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Good work! I can't picture where that covered breezeway is, but I'm guessing it must be close to both your property and Mickey's? Good work on turning loose of some stuff that you had decided not to use. With the lumber, I always struggle with how much of that to keep around. I have a few stacks. In our garage growing up, there were many many sticks of different dimensions that remained there the entire process of my growing up. Hard to know how much to keep available and how much to clear out. I figure you're on the right track if you do some of each. I had to look up breeze blocks. I did not know that breeze was a synonym for ash there, what some people call cinder blocks here. The actual construction term we have for all materials of that type is CMU or concrete masonry unit.
I really enjoy your replies.

Thought through, considered, helpful and certainly a response I always look forward to.

If look from the house down the garden, behind the secret garden you find the garage, the carport is placed at 90’ to it on the front, garage is built on the rear boundary. Mickey lives to the right of me. So in 2011 we decided to remove a big section of hedge (the hedge is formally mine in England) and create a shared undercover storage area with each of us giving 3 foot down the side wall of my garage.

As for turning stuff loose, I have often turned stuff loose because someone else needed it more at the time, in the hope and knowledge that there will be another some time.

Lumber, yes, I have pieces of scrap that I have used for years rather than cut something good up.
Mickey will cut a new piece of wood, rather than change a design to use a smaller/shorter piece and even last week I had to keep redirecting him. Just because it is free, doesn’t mean you need to burn through it randomly.

I think the breeze in Breeze block implies lightness too.

Good investigation though.

So after clearing the carport, I also removed the solid wrought iron gate that had been there since 2011 between my and Mickeys yards and the shared alley storage.

This left a large hole, 6x4 foot, to be dealt with, mainly to slow the wind down when one works there in winter.

Looking from Mickeys side after I cut the hedge on his side you can see the odd shaped hole. Nothing is straight as it was never planned to be a doorway.

When I gathered the wood there were four plywood shelves, all 9 inches wide. Adding them to another sliver of ply have me the width needed.

The eagle eyed amongst you will notice the hole differs by 50mm top to bottom as the post originally fitted to create the end of the roofing sheets that hang down from the top of the structure was a twisted piece of lumber.
So that means I needed to create a door which fitted the hole, and the post will be modified to compensate for the pi$$ed post.

So Monday evening after work I quickly slapped a door together.

Mickey cannot resist the noise of a circular saw or power drill.

So fresh from a shave and shower, smelling like a teenager out to score first base, he was straight aroundf after he had had his dinner.

Supervising as always.

Screws penetrated by about 3mm so I had to cut them all back with the grinder.

After that I fitted it in the triangulated hole, and realised it needed a bit more work to fit, and with the weight, it needs a small jockey wheel.

So once that was done I shut shop, made a pizza (disappointing) and a shower.

Plans were to get back to it today after work.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote